We opened our "virtual" doors for business one year ago today! In our first year we have served over 500 people through our classes and events including after-school classes, spring seed swap, Urban Farm Tour, summer field trips and skill-based classes for the whole community! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the support and encouragement you have given to us this past year! A very special thank you to the following people and organizations who have played a part in helping me learn everything about running a business from the ground up. It's been a full 12 months and you have each taught me something unique that has shaped Seattle Farm School this year. I couldn't have done this without you!
We have accomplished so much in our first year and I'm super excited for 2016! You all are quite the team!!
- Dustin, Bella and Jonny for everything! I love you three so much!
- Our families for your constant support and encouragement
- Candace Winkler: website and graphics, business mentorship, marketing and pre-dawn cross-country weekly meetings and friendship
- Teachers: Krista Staudacher, Kelli Thomas, Kellie Phelan, Jeremy Puma, Matt Bentley, Pam Poulsen Linxweiler, Hayla Thompson, Cyndi O'Brien, Missy Anderson, Taffeta Vee, Holly Briscoe, Kimberley Leeper, Jackie Cramer, Fawn Coussens
- Idea & event development and support: Kristen Corning, Phoebe Ingraham, Christine Estep, Sarah Heitman, Janelle Doig, Krista Staudacher, Jen Schill, Gerrit Kischner, Jen Girou, Kristin Dickerson
- Artwork: JoEllen Wang
- Marketing & Social Media support: Gabe Hargis & Print NW, West Seattle Blog, Sustainable West Seattle, Allison Sutcliffe & Red Tricycle Seattle, Mary Englin & Macaroni Kids West Seattle, Seattle Met Magazine, Jenn Dowell, Katie Kadwell, Kathy Henderson, Marie Santo, Saundra Hinsley, Emily Ramirez & Hold Me Don't Hold Me parenting blog, Angela Strand & NWHealthyMamas.com, Kelli Henderson & Zippy Dogs, Janelle Maiocco & Barn2Door, Sheryl Wiser & Cascade Harvest Coalition, Verity Credit Union, Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company, Seattle Bloggers Unite, Seattle Farm Co-op, Portage Bay Grange
- Networking & Encouragement: Karen Kasameyer, Jeri & Amy Andrews, Reuben Butler, Ross Chapin, Ranette Iding, Pamela Hinckley, Andrea Laughery, Seattle Tilth Garden Educators Group
- Business development guidance and ideas: Pinchot University crew - Mike Skinner, Kerrie Carbary, Christine Cole, Jeff Crowl, Julie Chan; Johnnie Green, Martita Green, Luni Libes
- Seed library & urban farm projects: Territorial Seed Company, Seed Savers Exchange, West Seattle Nursery, Sam at Raintree Nursery, Krista Staudacher, Jason Randolph at Sound Advertising Group, Caitlin Moore, Bill Thorness & King County Seed Lending Library
- Policies and Practices: Mike Hemker, Sarah Valpone, Shawn McClain & PHE Insurance team, West Seattle Fabric Company
- Classroom space: C&P Coffee, Youngstown Cultural Arts Center, West Seattle Art Nest, Hiawatha Community Center, Saundra Hinsley, Matt Bentley & Kellie Phelan, Krista Staudacher, Holly Briscoe, Three Little Birds
- Class and Event support and hosting: West Seattle Nursery, West Seattle Be Prepared, Department of Neighborhoods - P-Patches (Barton, Highpoint & Westcrest), West Seattle Bee Garden, The Little Red Hen Project, Urban Flex Farms, Seattle Childrens Museum, Nancy Slote & West Seattle Library, West Seattle Eagles, West Seattle Tool Library, Community Orchard of West Seattle, Whitney Murphy, Ray & Phoebe Ingraham, Wendy Neary, Buried Treasure Urban Farm, Teri Schroeder, Pathfinders K-8: Tasha Mosher, Tara Migliore-Potter, Paul Gautschi homestead, Seattle Science Center IMAX
- Childrens Garden: Jennifer Babuca & St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church
- Dakota Grange ideas and support: JoEllen Wang, Klara Pecak, Genesee-Schmitz Neighborhood Council - Mary Fleck, Elaine Ike, Janet Jones, Bob Yeasting, Kerrie Schurr, Melissa Pemberton, West Seattle neighbors and parents that I've talked to
- Policy makers & Politicians working on furthering urban agriculture in Seattle: the teams of Dow Constantine & the King County Local Food Initiative, Tom Rasmussen, Nick Licata, Green Spaces Coalition
- Community support: Emily Seltzer Williams & Fit4Mom West Seattle, Jackie Clough & Alki Party Treasures, West Seattle Urban Farmers Facebook group, Sustainable West Seattle, Schmitz Park families, Delridge Grocery Co-op
- And to all the kids, teens and adults that have joined us at a class or an event this year - THANK YOU!!! This wouldn't happen without you!
I really hope I didn't miss anyone! Cheers to you all and a BIG OLE HUG from me to you!
Cupcake photo source.